Sunday, February 7, 2010

Tips on raising a child - views from a dad

Getting a child to breath in a Compact Compressor

Basically a Compact Compressor is something your child uses when she is sick. Specifically when she has a virus in her lungs and has little trouble breathing. Basically it creastes a mist and the mist has some medicine in it which clears the lungs so your daughter can breath better. To enhale the mist your daughter puts a little plastic mask over her mouth and nose so she can breathe it in through her mouth and nose.

Well the first time I tried to get my 2 year old daughter to do it she did not want to do it. I then told her if she does not use the mask, I will give her a time out. She then ran to her mom. Her mom then correctly said to me, you are going to make it a chore and she will never want to do it. Why don't you make it a game?

That is exactly what I did next. I grabbed a pretend mask which was just a big bowl and put itover my face. I then asked my daughter to put her mask on which she did. We then played a game of counting up to ten slowly while wearing the masks. Before pronouncing each number we would take a deep breath and then slowly annuciate the number. This way my daughted breathed in the mist before annuciating each number. Even after she was done breathing in all her medicine she wanted to keep going!

Remember there is always a better way and the gentler apporach is usually the best approach!

Getting in your workout

The last few times I have tried to punch the heavy bag when I have been watching my daughter in the basement my daughter has interpetted my toutine after one or two punches. She gets bored which I understand and wants me to play with her which I always do. Well what I di the last time is drive her around in her little tike car and then pulled her up a safe distance from the heavy bag and asked her to decide if dad should punch or kick and how many times I should do it. Well this approach worked great. She would say 8 kicks dad and then I would kick 8 times in a row and count each one off with her joining in. I did this for a good 10 minutes and got in a good work out. I realized by getting her engaged I could get my work out in and keep her happy and work on her counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment